Croatian palachinke are thin crepe-like pancakes. When they are filled with jam, fruit, or sweet or savory cheeses and rolled, they are still known as palachinke (blintzes).
Hungarians call crepes palacsinta, Poles call them nalesniki, Lithuanians call them naliesnikai, Ukrainians call them nalysnyky, and in Romanian, it's clatita. There is very little difference in the basic recipe, so the palachinke batter recipe will suffice for all.
Makes about 12 (7 1/2-inch) palachinke
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Palachinke Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- Sweet Cheese Filling:
- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large slightly beaten eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 large beaten egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine all the sweet cheese filling ingredients. Let it rest, covered and refrigerated, for 1 1/2 hours while you make the palachinke.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the batter ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a pitcher, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes so the liquid can be absorbed by the flour.
- Using a 2-ounce ladle, portion out batter into a nonstick skillet that has been coated with equal parts butter and oil. Rotate pan and swirl batter until it covers the entire bottom of pan. Cook until lightly brown or spotted brown on the underside. Turn and cook second side until light brown. See these step-by-step crepe-making instructions.
- Remove to waxed paper or parchment paper and repeat with remaining batter, separating palachinke with waxed paper or parchment. At this point, palachinke can be used immediately or wrapped and frozen up to 1 month.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons filling on one edge of each palachinke and roll away from yourself.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place filled palachinke on a buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet. Comine all topping ingredients, mixing well, and spread on top of filled palachinke. Bake 20 minutes.