Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Search
HomeHomeLifestyle - Nač...Lifestyle - Nač...Food and DrinkFood and DrinkSlivovitz - CroatiaSlivovitz - Croatia's national drink
Previous
 
Next
New Post
8/8/2010 1:11 PM
 
My dad used to get this infamous Croatian whiskey anytime he went to Astoria Queens.  Anyone have a recommendation on their favorite brand?

Here is the wiki from wiki.homedistiller.org:

Slivovitz

Slivovitz (Croatian: "Slivovitz" SerboCroatian: ljivovica, Polish : liwowica, both pronounced roughly like "shlee-vo-vee-tsah"; Romanian: ţuică, pălincă or şliboviţă) is a strong aromatic alcoholic beverage made of distilled fermented plum juice. It is similar to brandy and sometimes called plum brandy in English. It's one of the liquors known as raki or rakija.

The beverage originated in the Balkan Peninsula; the name derives from the South Slavic word for a plum, šljiva. Production is concentrated in Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, and to a lesser extent in Austria, Germany, Italy and elsewhere. The majority being by the MARASKA Distilleries in Croatia.

It is the national drink of Croatia, where about 70% of plum production (average 424,300 tonnes per year; FAO Stat, av 1991/2001) goes into slivovitz.

The alcohol content varies from 40-70% by volume.

The Kosher version of Slivovitz, like some of the other rakijas, is kept in wooden barrels (oak or mulberry) for an extra aroma and the colour (golden yellow) Although the majority of Slivovitz is not aged in wood, and is clear in color.

Rakija is supposed to be drunk from the special small glasses.

There is a traditional slivovitz recipe in the Brandy recipes that originated in the cities of Zageb, and Zadar Croatia and has passed down many generations.


Hrvatski Ponos!
 
New Post
8/9/2010 10:41 AM
 
Justin, The best sljivovica is home made. I have about 3/4 of a liter, which was given to me in 2000 by Zeljko in Osijek. At that time it was 27 years old. From the store I like Badel and Maraska brands, but make sure its at least 10 years old.

Live and let Live
 
New Post
8/13/2010 5:27 AM
 
I have to say that home made sljivovica is the best and the factory brands are not even close! Croatians make sljivovica in slavonija(the best one =) ) and in zagorje! People from slavonija make it from a plum tree cold Stanley and people from zagorja make it out of a plum tree bistrica. Only difference is that Stanley plum is bigger than bistrica and it has a better taste. I make sljivovica in slavonija so when you come to Croatia you have a bottle from me...
 
New Post
8/13/2010 11:53 AM
 
cuni wrote:
Justin, The best sljivovica is home made. I have about 3/4 of a liter, which was given to me in 2000 by Zeljko in Osijek. At that time it was 27 years old. From the store I like Badel and Maraska brands, but make sure its at least 10 years old.

  Come over this weekend and lets do a taste test.  We can report the results back on here for everyone ;-)


Hrvatski Ponos!
 
New Post
8/13/2010 11:55 AM
 
bekica wrote:
I have to say that home made sljivovica is the best and the factory brands are not even close! Croatians make sljivovica in slavonija(the best one =) ) and in zagorje! People from slavonija make it from a plum tree cold Stanley and people from zagorja make it out of a plum tree bistrica. Only difference is that Stanley plum is bigger than bistrica and it has a better taste. I make sljivovica in slavonija so when you come to Croatia you have a bottle from me...

 That sounds like a great offer beckica.  I will hold you to that ;-)  In the mean time whats your favorite store brand?


Hrvatski Ponos!
 
New Post
8/13/2010 1:41 PM
 
Well actually I have never tasted a store brand sljivovica because we allways have our homemade! But everyone told me that badel has the best store brand sljivovica... You cant even compare store brand and home made because it is like two worlds. When you make your rakija you can choose will it be stronger or not,will you cook it with a pit our without it! In Slavonija you will not find a house that doesnt have šljivovica...=)
 
New Post
8/13/2010 4:41 PM
 
bekica wrote:
Well actually I have never tasted a store brand sljivovica because we allways have our homemade! But everyone told me that badel has the best store brand sljivovica... You cant even compare store brand and home made because it is like two worlds. When you make your rakija you can choose will it be stronger or not,will you cook it with a pit our without it! In Slavonija you will not find a house that doesnt have šljivovica...=)

 How many Gradi do you make yours?


Hrvatski Ponos!
 
Previous
 
Next
HomeHomeLifestyle - Nač...Lifestyle - Nač...Food and DrinkFood and DrinkSlivovitz - CroatiaSlivovitz - Croatia's national drink