Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Search
HomeHomeLifestyle - Nač...Lifestyle - Nač...Food and DrinkFood and DrinkPolenta/Pura----  Recipe requestPolenta/Pura---- Recipe request
Previous

Next
New Post
8/18/2010 11:52 PM

My father used to make, what he called a 'poor man supper', please forgive my spelling, but I will spell it using our beloved 'Engvatski'- šgansa. Does this sound familiar to anybody? I know it must have been very simple, using corn meal but I cannot find a proper recipe for it.

Hvala,

Marc

I talk to strangers.

New Post
8/19/2010 6:40 AM

CroNadian wrote:
My father used to make, what he called a 'poor man supper', please forgive my spelling, but I will spell it using our beloved 'Engvatski'- šgansa. Does this sound familiar to anybody? I know it must have been very simple, using corn meal but I cannot find a proper recipe for it.
Hvala,
Marc

Hi CroNadian,

Some people call it Zganci, Pura or Palenta. Here is a recipe from a Croatian cuisine book.

Ingredients: 1.5 cup corn meal, 4 cup water, 1 tea spoon salt.
Procedure: Add salt to the water and bring to a boil. Place the corn meal in a large dry skillet. Heat the corn meal over medium heat, stirring constantly until it barely begins to brown. Pour the boiling water over the corn meal and mix quickly. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until the water is fully absorbed and the corn meal becomes thick. Serve hot with butter, grated chese or sour cream.
Note: My personal favourite way to eat is with butter milk (kiselo mlijeko), it goes back to growing up in Bosnia. Enjoy!

Live and let Live

New Post
10/24/2010 10:15 AM

I made this yesterday.  Came out great.  Brought back memories for me too. 
I ate it with something called Kefir which is similar to a buttermilk type stuff.  My 1 year old son, Fox, loved it too.  It was excellent.

Hrvatski Ponos!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeLifestyle - Nač...Lifestyle - Nač...Food and DrinkFood and DrinkPolenta/Pura----  Recipe requestPolenta/Pura---- Recipe request