Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Here is an easy version of spinach pita, which uses packaged fillo dough.
8 oz Spinach stemmed and chopped
1/2 small onion
16 oz small curd 4% cottage cheese
1lb #4 fillo dough
1 tsp of salt
2 TBS canola oil
2 TBS Butter
3/4 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
2. Add chopped spinach, onions, salt, cottage cheese, and eggs in a large bowl.
3. Mix until fully combined. Coat a 9"x13" pyrex pan with oil.
4. Layer 5 sheets of fillo dough, one sheet at a time, loosely so its crumpled.
5.Brush the top of that dough layer with butter.
6. Add a layer of spinach mixture using approximately 1/2 of mixture.
7.Add 4 sheets of fillo dough one sheet at a time in a crumpled fashion.
8. Brush dough layer with butter/oil.
9. Add the remaining mixture as a top spinach layer.
10. Cover with a final dough layer using 5 sheets of dough applied 1 sheet at a time in a crumpled fashion.
11. Brush the top layer ith clarified butter.
12. Cover with Aluminum foil and put in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown.
13. Heat 1/2cup milk and 2 TBS of butter on the stove top.
14. Take the Burek out of the oven, poke holes in the top of the Burek.
15. Pour milk/butter over allowing the mixture to soak in. (Do not put too much liquid. Use some judgement here. You want to have the pita soak in the liquid but not be overly wet. Do it in stages and mix the milk/butter eat time you pour)