Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Search
HomeHomeConnect - Društ...Connect - Društ...General Discuss...General Discuss...Why is Croatia joining the EU taking so long?Why is Croatia joining the EU taking so long?
Previous

Next
New Post
8/16/2010 8:06 AM

It looks like things are much delayed with Croatia joining the EU.  Anyone have some insight on what is causing the big delays?

Izgleda da stvari puno kasne s Hrvatska uđe u EU. Bilo tko imati neki uvid o tome što je uzrok velikog kašnjenja?

Hrvatski Ponos!

New Post
8/16/2010 12:19 PM

The question should be, why even consider joining when the majority of the population is against it!

Follow the dream, and not the money!

New Post
8/16/2010 10:02 PM

skitnica wrote:
The question should be, why even consider joining when the majority of the population is against it!

Thats interesting. I would think that joining the EU would be popular in Croatia.  Can you give me the short version of what the issues are?  My dad mentioned the dispute between Croatia and Slovenia regarding the sea port.  There must be more to it than that.  Wouldn't becoming a member of the EU be an economic windfall to the nation?

Hrvatski Ponos!

New Post
8/17/2010 1:40 PM

There are plenty of issues. How can I put it simply??? :-) When you look deep down, it is not just about the border issue. 1. Croatia needs to look inward and fix their laws (there are over 4 million cases in the courts un resolved). 2. They need to become a real democracy first, and outs corruption 3. They need to be able to fix their economy from the INSIDE first 4. They need to create more jobs and actually PAY people on time I think that if we can fix the above issues, which would take plenty of time; we wouldn't even need to consider Croatia to join the EU. Because, we would be a free and self sufficient nation and not have to join anything at all. The only windfall Croatia will get is for the POLITICIANS and LARGE COMPANIES. The general people will not gain anything. The EU doesn't have the money to just throw around and "save" the smaller countries who want to join it. In my opinion, the EU will cease to exist in my lifetime.

New Post
8/17/2010 9:48 PM

skitnica wrote:
There are plenty of issues. How can I put it simply??? :-) When you look deep down, it is not just about the border issue. 1. Croatia needs to look inward and fix their laws (there are over 4 million cases in the courts un resolved). 2. They need to become a real democracy first, and outs corruption 3. They need to be able to fix their economy from the INSIDE first 4. They need to create more jobs and actually PAY people on time I think that if we can fix the above issues, which would take plenty of time; we wouldn't even need to consider Croatia to join the EU. Because, we would be a free and self sufficient nation and not have to join anything at all. The only windfall Croatia will get is for the POLITICIANS and LARGE COMPANIES. The general people will not gain anything. The EU doesn't have the money to just throw around and "save" the smaller countries who want to join it. In my opinion, the EU will cease to exist in my lifetime.

Interesting view.  I guess I always thought of the EU as being analogous to the United States Federal government and the EU countries as similar to our States.  They are independent yet unified under one umbrella.  Obviously not the same but that is what I always thought it was like.

That said there would be the strength of the Euro(already accepted in Croatia) lending its stability to Croatia's economy, and I would think that having foreign investment into the country would help get it back on its feet much faster.  I was in Dubrovnik and there was still a lot of the town that looked damaged from the war.  I would think it would get fixed if someone would come there with money to do so...  anyway I know the EU wont solve all problems and agree fully that Croatia needs to change its mind set overall to become a great nation.

Hrvatski Ponos!

New Post
8/18/2010 11:57 AM

It's a totally different constitution than that of the U.S. You can't even compare the two, the don't even belong in the same sentence. You do have some good points there though Justin. We have always had foreign investment though with or without the EU. Many local companies now are not own by Croatian's anymore. Just look at Spain (a small poorer country to join the EU.) It hasn't helped them much at all.

New Post
8/23/2010 2:40 PM

You are very hopeful, but the picture we see is not that of what you (and I) wish for sadly.

New Post
8/25/2010 7:18 PM

I would like also that we dont need EU but its sad thing that Croatian people dont know how to respect what they have....so they need somebody to show them :))) that is something what will never change...its not problem in politic or economy etc. its problem in mentality of Croatian people...we dont have history of living like independent nation, so we dont know how to live on that way...it was great dream but that same dream is not so nice right now when we live the same... Also I would say that EU dont have future...just think about that EU is full of different countries, with different culture, different vision, history, power...EU dont have history of union like US...I think its just bad copy of ex Jugoslavia...we have one funny story about country order of coming in EU and order who will leave it and when...on the end of story in EU will stay only countries of ex Yugoslavia :))))

Previous

Next
HomeHomeConnect - Društ...Connect - Društ...General Discuss...General Discuss...Why is Croatia joining the EU taking so long?Why is Croatia joining the EU taking so long?