Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Search
HomeHomeLifestyle - Nač...Lifestyle - Nač...Sports and Recr...Sports and Recr...Drazen Petrovic featured in ESPNDrazen Petrovic featured in ESPN's "Once Brothers"
Previous

Next
New Post
10/14/2010 6:30 PM

I saw a great documentary on Drazen Petrovic and Vlade Divac on ESPN this past Tuesday.  ESPN is going to replay it several times over the next months.  I suggest you watch it.

Growing up in New Jersey and a Nets fan, Drazen was my idol.  I used to watch all his games on TV.  I still remember the day my father told me he passed away.  It was two days before my birthday, and I was heartbroken.

I got goose bumps watching this documentary because it brought back so many memories.  He was such an amazing basketball player, and a great person to look up to.  He died too young, but his legacy lives on.

Here's a link to the show's Web site.  I also posted the summary below. 

http://30for30.espn.com/film/once-brothers.html

Drazen Petrovic and Vlade Divac were two friends who grew up together sharing the common bond of basketball. Together, they lifted the Yugoslavian National team to unimaginable heights. After conquering Europe, they both went to America where they became the first two foreign players to attain NBA stardom. But with the fall of the Soviet Union on Christmas Day 1991, Yugoslavia split up. A war broke out between Petrovic's Croatia and Divac's Serbia. Long buried ethnic tensions surfaced. And these two men, once brothers, were now on opposite sides of a deadly civil war. As Petrovic and Divac continued to face each other on the basketball courts of the NBA, no words passed between the two. Then, on the fateful night of June 7, 1993, Drazen Petrovic was killed in an auto accident. "Once Brothers" will tell the gripping tale of these two men, how circumstances beyond their control tore apart their friendship, and whether Divac has ever come to terms with the death of a friend before they had a chance to reconcile.

New Post
10/14/2010 8:45 PM

Great post. Here is the schedule for the programs.

Once Brothers

NBA Entertainment

• Premieres Tuesday Oct 12 8PM ESPN
  • Thursday Oct 14 11pm ESPN Classic
  • Wednesday Oct 20 9:30pm ESPN
  • Sunday Oct 31 9pm ESPN Classic
  • Sunday Dec 12 2:30pm ESPN

Hrvatski Ponos!

New Post
10/16/2010 11:16 PM

According to my friend Zok, in Zagreb, there is quite a bit of media coverage on this film. Here is a croatian news paper link anouncing this story.

http://www.vecernji.hr/sport/kosarka/...

Live and let Live

New Post
10/17/2010 11:03 PM

That link had the entire film on youtube.  I just watched it.  It was AMAZING.  Parts 5 and 6 were tear jerking.  Please everyone, watch and give your thoughts here.

Hrvatski Ponos!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeLifestyle - Nač...Lifestyle - Nač...Sports and Recr...Sports and Recr...Drazen Petrovic featured in ESPNDrazen Petrovic featured in ESPN's "Once Brothers"