Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Search
HomeHomeAbout Croatia -...About Croatia -...About Croatia -...About Croatia -...Accession of Croatia to the European UnionAccession of Croatia to the European Union
Previous

Next
New Post
2/25/2012 6:51 AM

I was hoping that some of you Native Croatians can help me to understand a little bit better about the Accession into the EU.  On the face it seems like a good idea, but with the economic turmoil in Europe right now is this a good move?  Let me know your thoughts please.

Hrvatski Ponos!

New Post
3/3/2012 11:18 AM

Hi, well it's actually pretty broad subject, putting it all in one post is almost impossible. But, let me start.

As a younger person, age 30, I am not against EU. I think it's a good thing for Croatia in many aspects. It also brings bad things, like over-regulation, EU likes to do that. But currently Croatia has regulations that don't work in practice so over-regulation might be better than regulations that don't work.

EU economy situation is not an issue for Croatia. Let's put it in right perspective, if Croats lived all the time like EU citizens live in crises that would be 5 times better than what it's now. Croatia is a long way from EU economy standards. There is no one to blame but ourselves for that.

EU is an option to all those who are willing to work hard to get there chance on EU market. Reality is that, many young people like myself are trying to find solution to money making problem. Average Croat works for low wages and prices are almost at EU standards. Long term development in economy is no where to be seen. So a chance to work with EU without borders is a good thing. I know that if that chance didn't come up, like a lot of my friends I would try to get a visa for US, Australia, New Zeland, and leave this country.

EU is not something absolutely good or bad, it's a mix of all that in many ways. EU will give us nothing except potential to do something with ourselves. It will be on Croats to show in time will they use that potential. Time will show.

Option to stay out of EU, would be good if we had better political leadership, stronger economy, more developed personal freedoms, bigger population, younger population, less retired people, more educated people. All around we would have to be on much higher level to make it work outside EU.

New Post
3/4/2012 1:28 PM

Thanks for your insights Dev. I suppose that once Croatia is a part of the EU for a couple generations things will hopefully be different.  The young people today will grow up into positions of leadership within Croatia and over time there will be substantive change.  I agree this should be the way to assure that the country is on more solid footing until that time when it can stand on its own and have a robust economy.

Hrvatski Ponos!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeAbout Croatia -...About Croatia -...About Croatia -...About Croatia -...Accession of Croatia to the European UnionAccession of Croatia to the European Union