Croatian, Social, Network, Croatia, Forum, Hrvatska, Travel, Food, Wine, Politics, Religion
Search
HomeHomeAbout Croatia -...About Croatia -...Language (Jezik...Language (Jezik...Word/phrase of the day. Word/phrase of the day.
Previous

Next
New Post
8/26/2010 10:08 AM

As a non-native Croatian speaker, I'm learning new words and phrases all the time with the help of my friends, but also with some great tools. Tools like Pimsleurs Croatian CD set, Lonely Planet Phrasebook and the iPhone's 'iPronounce' app.

One thing that confounded me for a while was the word "zakon". Any translator I tried defined zakon as 'law'. I couldn't understand why people were so excited about saying 'law'! I asked one of my Croatian friends in Varaždin, she told me it means the equivalent of "cool" in English. How zakon came to be used as 'cool' is a mystery to me...

So the word of the day is "Zakon" meaning "Cool"!

I talk to strangers.

New Post
8/30/2010 12:41 AM

This one is a translation request... I've seen this word used, but no translators that I've found know what this word is!!

Što je: "jer"?

Molim, hvala!

I talk to strangers.

New Post
8/30/2010 3:48 AM

CroNadian wrote:
This one is a translation request... I've seen this word used, but no translators that I've found know what this word is!!

Što je: "jer"?

Molim, hvala!

jer means because.

example: jer to nije vazno (because that's not important)

Live and let Live

New Post
8/30/2010 9:12 AM

Hvala cuni! Danas, razumjem malo više:)

I talk to strangers.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeAbout Croatia -...About Croatia -...Language (Jezik...Language (Jezik...Word/phrase of the day. Word/phrase of the day.